Tiny Tom Posted March 27, 2013 Share Posted March 27, 2013 En nyhetsartikel från i höstas om fetmaepidemin i USA hade gått mig förbi. Eftersom den var lite speciell så misstänker jag att den kan vara av intresse för andra som ev. också missat den. Kort och gott, oron över fetmaepidemin har nu nått amerikanska försvaret! Man planerar en invasion framåt hösten till... Skämt åsido, det har gått rätt långt när t.o.m. försvarets representanter börjar resonera i termer som "de ungdomar som växer upp idag är för feta för att bli soldater så här behövs något göras". Ironiskt nog så är det kanske det är det här som behövs för att inleda ett anfallskrig på flera fronter mot det här eländet. In a report to be released on Tuesday, a group of 300 retired military officers said school-age children are eating 400 billion excess calories a year - the equivalent of 2 billion candy bars - from junk food sold in such machines as well as in snack bars and cafeterias that should be off-limits. "While limiting the sale of junk food is not a solution by itself for the childhood obesity epidemic, it is part of the solution," wrote the retired officers, who are part of a nonprofit group called Mission: Readiness, focused on youth issues. [...] Military experts have long been worried that rising obesity is making it difficult to find fit recruits. But the report places new pressure on government officials to revamp nutritional guidelines for foods sold in U.S. schools. "The folks that are going to enter the military in 2025 are in school right now. So it's up to us to ensure that when those children reach the age of between 17 and 24 that they are ready or eligible to join the military," Retired Air Force Lieutenant General Norman Seip, a member of the group, told Reuters. [...] "It's a strong reminder of the seriousness and the extent of the obesity epidemic, showing how far reaching it is that even the military is concerned about it," said Margo Wootan, who oversees nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group. [...] Only 25 percent of young U.S. adults qualify to enlist in the military. Among the remaining 75 percent, more than a third have weight-related problems, she said, adding that the military is still meeting its recruiting goals. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.