Gå till innehåll

Glutenkänslighet (som inte är celiaki eller allergi) finns; nu bevisat

Att studien är liten (å 59 deltagare är inte så lite i en randomiserad dubblelblind) gör mig ingenting, det är oftast svårare att nå signifikans med mindre studier.

Däremot ser jag fram emot att fler studier replikerar resultaten, det blir trots allt lite lättare att argumentera då. 

Länk till inlägg
Dela på andra webbplatser

Att studien är liten (å 59 deltagare är inte så lite i en randomiserad dubblelblind) gör mig ingenting, det är oftast svårare att nå signifikans med mindre studier.

Däremot ser jag fram emot att fler studier replikerar resultaten, det blir trots allt lite lättare att argumentera då. 

+1. En enstaka studie väger inte speciellt tungt så hoppas på fler.

http://tranastyrka.se/ny-studie-pa-personer-som-ar-glutenkansliga/ JGs uttalande gällande studien :) tyckte han sammanfatta den bra.

Länk till inlägg

Det jag är nyfiken på är fokuseringen på gluten (består av glutenin och gliadin); ett av 1000 proteiner i vete. Är det verkligen det enda man kan reagera på? Nedan artikel från 1 februari i år är informativ.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gluten-sensitivity-may-be-a-misnomer-for-distinct-illnesses-to-various-wheat-proteins/?page=3

Now several studies hint that so-called gluten sensitivity might not always be caused by gluten. In some cases, the problem may be entirely different proteins—or even some carbohydrates. “We're so used to dealing with gluten as the enemy, but it might actually be something else,” says David Sanders, who teaches gastroenterology at the University of Sheffield in England. Joseph Murray, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., agrees: “I'm starting to feel more uncomfortable calling it nonceliac gluten sensitivity. I think it might be better to call it nonceliac wheat sensitivity.”

If the culprits behind certain instances of gluten sensitivity are, in fact, wheat constituents other than gluten, finding the right ones will be difficult. Wheat has six sets of chromosomes and a whopping 95,000 or so genes. In comparison, we humans have just two sets of chromosomes and about 20,000 genes. Genes code the instructions to build proteins, so more genes mean more proteins to sift through. Some initial experiments have spotlighted a few potential offenders, however.

In laboratory tests, wheat proteins known as amylase-trypsin inhibitors have stimulated immune cells in plastic wells to release inflammatory molecules called cytokines that can overexcite the immune system. Further tests showed that these wheat proteins provoked the same inflammatory response in mice. Likewise, in an Italian study, small concentrations of wheat germ agglutinin, a protein distinct from gluten, roused cytokines from human intestinal cells growing in a plastic well.

Preliminary research suggests that, in other cases, by-products of gluten digestion may be the problem. Breaking down gliadin and glutenin produces even shorter chains of amino acids—the building blocks of proteins—some of which may behave like morphine and other soporific opiates. Perhaps these molecules explain some of the lethargy exhibited by people who do not have celiac disease but are nonetheless sensitive to wheat, suggests Aristo Vojdani, chief executive officer of Immunosciences Lab in Los Angeles. In a small study by Vojdani and his colleagues, the blood of people classified as gluten-sensitive had higher levels of antibodies that recognize these gluten by-products than blood taken from healthy volunteers.

Länk till inlägg